The Rosberg won qualification, but at the start of the race, he confidently kept the lead. Behind him in second place on the first leg up Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari), but in the middle of the peloton there was a crash. Russian Daniil Kvyat to Red bull in the fight for 7th place on the brake crashed into a Ferrari Sebastian Vettel. German reserve Daniel ricciardo (Red bull), and "Ferrari" launched the car and crashed into a wall.
In this race for Vettel ended, and Kvyat was punished 10-second stop in the pits. On track, the Russians returned the last, and further in the distance held in the second ten, not pretending to a high place, and finished only 15-m.
Fell off outside the top-10 and Riccardo also left without scoring points (12). The race showed that on highways the car "Red bull" cannot compete with "Ferrari" and "Williams", not to mention Mercedes".
After the accident, Vettel on the track appeared safety car. After the restart Rosberg began to pull away from the competition, while Hamilton quickly slipped from 10th place to 4th place. The British did not stop, to the seventh circle passing Raikkonen and becoming the third. Under pressure from three-time world champion Mass held until the first pit stop, but on the 19th lap the McLaren of Hamilton was ahead of the Williams of Bottas and came in second place. Raikkonen even before the middle of the race, too, ahead of Bottas, but kept close behind Hamilton could not.
More changes inside the top 5: the leads were from 7 th place and below. In the end, Rosberg took his fourth consecutive win (seventh — considering last season). At the finish, the German won the Hamilton 15 seconds from Raikkonen — 23 seconds from Bottas to 40 seconds.
In one round with the winner of the race in Sochi, only five fit riders. Sixth, with Fernando Alonso on "McLaren": Duranty world champion showed the best result of the season.
The victors of the race in Sochi was awarded personally by the President of Russia Vladimir Putin.
The Grand Prix of Russia. Sochi Autodrom
1. Nico Rosberg (Mercedes) — 53 laps
2. Lewis Hamilton ("Mercedes") 25,022 sec
3. Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari) 31,998
4. Valtteri Bottas ("Williams") 50,217
5. Felipe Massa ("Williams") 1.14,427
6. Fernando Alonso (McLaren) 1 lap
7. Kevin Magnussen (Renault) 1 lap
8. Romain Grosjean ("Haas") 1 round
9. Sergio Perez ("Force India") 1 range
10. Jenson button ("McLaren") 1 range
11.Daniel ricciardo (Red bull) 1 lap
12. Carlos Sainz Jr (Toro Rosso) 1 round
13. Jolyon Palmer (Renault) 1 lap
14. Marcus Ericsson ("Zauber") 1 round
15. Daniil Kvyat (Red bull) 1 lap
16. Felipe Nasr ("Zauber") 1 round
17. Esteban Gutierrez ("Haas") 1 round
18. Pascal Wehrlein ("manor"), 2 circle
Max Verstappen (Toro Rosso)
Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari)
Nico Hulkenberg ("Force India")
Rio Haryanto ("Manor")