Implementing the expansion plans of the Museum and development of the territory, LDz last week announced a contest that includes the restructuring of the on-site Museum historic depot building into a multi-functional educational exhibition center.
In the next couple of years it is planned to include built in 1868 the building of the railway depot (later there were warehouses) to the total complex of Museum buildings in the district of Uzvaras Boulevard and State street, at the same time by establishing additional race to the Museum from the street Akmenu. At the same time want to save authentic details and design of the existing building as possible by presenting them also in the interior layout to make functional and as open as possible.
The Museum survived the changes, will be positioned as an open environment of social communication included in the new surroundings of nearby cultural and infrastructure facilities of the city centre and pārdaugava, yet retaining its industrial origin. This means that the project will be balanced the historical aspects and current trends of rapid development in zadvinie, the landscape of which appear youth-oriented items such as the building of Latvian National library and Academic centre of natural Sciences of the University of Latvia.
Museum of Latvian railway history was founded in 1994. Since 1996, the Museum is partially located on the territory of the former station is Riga railway Riga–Mitau, as well as the former repair shops of the road. Annually the Museum is visited by over 40 thousand people, and the project of development of the Museum site, the interested visitors are expected to expand and involve more people.